Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Ahhh....adventures continue.....


So it seems that my little baby continues to grow and grow and seemingly becomes happier. Could it be that these colicky babies are just restless? Are they born knowing they are destined to grab and walk and eat Cheerios and they are just living a tortured existence until they can do it? LOL Who knows? I do know that after being home with him all week(my mom was at the beach....no babysitter...no work!) he seems much happier and calm. We did have one difficult night. I felt like I should try to help him go back to sleep on his own so I didn't pick him up, but I stayed with him and rubbed his little head and back. It took him 2 hours to get back to sleep. He didn't cry the whole time, but it was still exhausting. Last night, he woke up and I fed him(it was almost 3:30 and I have to leave for work at 4:30 am) and he went right back to sleep. I would like to think I helped him to do that!



I think the climate of the home is really key to their fussies too. With a graduation and many other changes coming, our home has been somewhat chaotic and sometimes downright tense. Some kids are just radars that respond to the least little tremor.



So we have made a real effort to maintain a peaceful spirit in our home. Of course, when you have a teenager counting down the days until she can move out, this can be difficult. But it really makes J and I become more conscious of the way we interact in our marriage. It's not just about us. Our issues affect everyone, even the baby. There is nothing wrong with having to examine your relationship a little closer and force yourselves to find ways to work through petty.....and not so petty differences. We have to work things out and not hold grudges or walk around with a chip on our shoulder. That isn't easy, but wow is it worth it.



So perhaps the world needs fussy babies in order to unite us???????? I would love to know how many people who have been recognized for their peacemaking and humanitarian efforts might have been colicky babies.



Saving the world.....one howler at a time........ :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just found your blog and loved this entry. My now 4 year old boy was a high need baby himself. While he still demands attention in other ways than howling, he is a very compassionate and intuitive child. I see his peace making abilities and empathetic attitude growing everyday. Maybe this can be contributed to his own special needs as a baby and our nurturing response as a family. Thank you for your thoughts.